Did you know that the first official ice hockey game in Finland was played on the ice of the lake Pyhä in Tampere in 1928, and Finland’s first indoor ice rink was built in Hakametsä in 1965 when Tampere hosted the first Ice Hockey World Championship organized in Finland? In Finland, the birthplace of ice hockey is Tampere – no wonder ice hockey is built in our DNA.
Hockey comes home in May when Tampere is hosting men’s IIHF World Championship as the main venue for the first time in 57 years. The City of Tampere encourages the whole city community to welcome hockey home. This is how you can participate:
1. Order ready-to-print decoration materials and decorate your shop or community premises with bunting, coasters or posters.
2. Organize some side events during the Championship and submit them to the Home of Hockey events calendar.
It is easy to submit information on your event to the Home of Hockey calendar:
- Enter your login on Pirkanmaa events / Create a free account.
- Choose “lisää uusi (add new)” and “tapahtuma (event)”.
- Fill in the event information.
- Choose “Tällä tapahtumalla on kattotapahtuma” under ”Kattotapahtuma” and search Kiekon koti -oheistapahtumat. Notice that if you do not tick the box, your event won’t be under Kiekon koti programme.
- Publish your event.
Let’s make the Championship of all time together! Share information on your event on social media using #KiekonKoti and #TampereHomeOfHockey.